The Art of Listening

Today, I learned an important lesson about the value of listening.
I’m a student teacher in a first grade class room. Today was “hat day,” which is a big deal because it’s the only day during the whole year that kids are allowed to wear hats at school. During reading time, one of the girls rushed up to me, anxious to show me the “special way” she could put on her hat.
I was busy with another student, so I redirected her back to her work. After I was finished with the other student, I noticed that the girl was back at her table, but hadn't started on her work yet. I walked over to redirect her.
"Can I show you my hat now?" she asked.
I was about to tell her “later,” and ask her to get to work, but then I stopped. I realized that right now, at this moment, what this student needed was to be heard. This was important to her, and her mind clearly couldn’t focus on anything else.
"Sure."
Her hat demonstration took less than thirty seconds, but her whole face lit up with a big smile, and guess what? As soon as she knew she had been heard, she was able to get started on her work.
I think it’s so easy to get wrapped up in tasks that we forget to listen to other people.
We all want to be heard, but sometimes we don’t want to listen.
But listening can make all the difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Reading: Incorporating the Joy of Books into the Classroom

Nothing Without Joy: The Role of Play, Curiosity, and Wonder in the Classroom.

Reopened